2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of half & half
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of salt
Frozen water…better known as ICE
2 pint-sized Ziploc bag PER KID
- Mix the sugar, half & half and vanilla extract together in a bowl.
- Pour into a pint-sized Ziploc baggie. MAKE SURE IT IS SEALED TIGHTLY!! Trust me on this one…you DO NOT want to hand over that bag without checking the seal!
- Now take the gallon-sized Ziploc bag and fill it up halfway with ice and pour the salt over the ice.
- Put the sugar mixture filled bag into the ice filled bag and seal. Again…be sure that you seal it well! Duct tape may be appropriate here! Explosions happen and messes are made! Make no mistake…you will end up with “ice-cream” everywhere!
- Now for the “fun” part! Shake the bags for 5 to 10 minutes (after 5 minutes open the bag and check to see if the ice-cream is hard, if not keep shaking.)! HAHAHAHAHA every mom out there is laughing now! Yeah right how many kids are going to shake that bag for that long?!? Guess who ends up shaking the bag???
- IMPORTANT STEP: Once your kid gives up and asks you to shake the bag while they go do..well whatever…quickly take out the extra set of bags that you haven’t used, dump the ice into the big one, take the ice cream out of the freezer, fill the middle bag, holler for the kids to come back! Voila! Now you have Kid Friendly Ice-cream in a bag!
PS: If you kid really does make it the entire time, congratulations! Young kids tend to be AMAZED by this process…so if you can keep them shaking it is well worth it! Plus they are wearing off some of the energy they are about to gain from all that sugar!